Friday, March 27, 2009

My geek is showing

Ok so I got the tax return and I offered the kids two choices Big Screen TV or computer.... Personally I wanted the TV because I am getting tired of looking at stuff on the 20" tv that we have now. So they went with the computer. Process for the computer.. Order said computer. (duo core 2.6g, 320gb hd, 4gb ram, creative sound card, 20" ws monitor, ati 256mb video card) Get said computer. Laugh evilly while unpacking and setting up the computer. Immediatly do updates ect while kids say can I use it yet. Which I of course promptly ignore and growl... not really. I had ordered 3 usb flash drives(Scandisk Cruzer) when I ordered the computer 2 4gb and 1 8gb. 2 went on the computer, 1 for windows readyboost(4gb), and 1 for Lord of the Rings Online(LOTRO) (8gb) for speeding up the loading of the textures, ect in the game. The last one was for me and the side job as I got tired of waiting for my current usb flash drive to quit taking 17 minutes to copy the current version of the code I was working on over so I could upload it to the development computer on the job site. The new one only takes about 3-5 minutes. Needless to say that after setting it all up and then putting the kids to bed later.. I of course had to crack the case open. Yea I know I couldn't resist...well acutally it was because the front jacks for the headphones didn't work and I wanted to know why. So I poped the case open and then discoved that the connectors had been plugged into the motherboard vs the sound card! Problem solved.. tested, tweaked, played with and finally went to bed. Oh ya the upgrade thinking lasted less than a week. On list new power supply and upgraded video card.

2 comments:

Karrot Soup said...

Next on our list is the TV, we've got the same problem...we recently watched a sports event where the score didn't even show because our screen was too small. We could see a shadowy half of the first number, and that was all.

Sandi said...

Yup, I had to install a 2.0 pci card because all my USB ports were failing. Turns out the computer is old enough that the USB ports were all 1.2. Things are much better now.